Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Preparing for the Volcom Fiji Pro 2012

I don't know about you, but every time I think of a return to Cloudbreak I can't help but jump up and down like a toddler handed a gallon of ice cream. I love Fiji. I love Cloudbreak. And Restaurants. These are the waves that should be mainstays on the contest circuit, rather than the blown out beach break closeouts that have become increasingly common over the past couple years. While I recognize the driving factor in contest placement is and will always be centered around money, we need contests like these to maintain the integrity and soul of the sport. And with a contract spanning 2012-2014, Volcom will be able to give us three years of Fijian perfection.

The 2012 Volcom Fiji Pro marks the World Tour's return to Fiji after a three year hiatus. The contest has actually only been held eight times since its inception in 1999. Occy took the inaugural title, followed by Luke Egan (2000), Michael Lowe (2002), Andy Irons (2003), Damien Hobgood (2004 and 2006), and of course Kelly Slater (2005 and 2008). All were goofy foots except for AI and Slater, meaning goofyfoots have won in Fiji over 62% of the time. US surfers have won four times, Aussies 3, and Hawaiians once (thank you AI!).

Fresh off his win in Rio, and bred for waves like these, I'm looking to John John as the one to beat in Fiji. But I'm also excited to see Jordy, Parko, and Julian, guys who have proven they're not afraid of heaving barrels. Of course expect fireworks from Kelly (and Mick), but don't we always expect that? Finally, I'd like to see how Gabriel Medina and Kolohe Andino fare in waves like these.

Only 10 days till the waiting period! Check out the site: Volcom Fiji Pro

And here's a little tease:

No comments:

Post a Comment