Tuesday, June 19, 2012

The Volcom Fiji Pro is Pau. Please get over it.


I'm sick and tired hearing about the "controversy" over the lay day at the Volcom Fiji Pro 2012. For those of you chasing butterflies, there was a massive swell pummeling Cloudbreak, and I mean massive. After waiting for a couple hours to set up camera equipment, the contest was called on. But only the final two heats of Round 2 were completed before the contest was called off. Crazy wind seemed to be the predominant excuse for calling it quits. Unfortunately, about an hour later the wind died down and Tavarua gave us one of the most spectacular displays the surfing world has ever seen. Beautiful and terrifying, Cloudbreak delivered massive barrels wave after wave. With the contest officially called off for the day, big wave chargers from around the world descended upon the break. Cameras originally set up for the contest continued to roll, giving spectators a glimpse of one of the most amazing free surf sessions ever.

And now everyone and their moms are arguing over whether contest officials were right to call it quits.

I for one am over it. Who cares? The contest was great. We saw a little of everything from massive Cloudbreak to the never ending barrels of Restaurants. Plus we got to watch a crazy free surf session. That's all I need.

I'd love to say more about how everyone that keeps talking about that day are a bunch of whiny brats (on both sides) but the more I say the more I sound like one of them. So I'll finish with this. Please get over it. I won't survive two months of bickering until the Teahupoo contest. Let's argue about something else okay? Like who should be the next leader of the free world? I heard elections were coming up soon.

1 comment:

  1. The election may just effect the future of surfing....I think I saw Romney in surf shorts on the North Shore. Hmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete